Toothache or dental pain affects everyone – both old and young. Once the pain sets in, it ruins everything in your routine. It is one of the most aggravating dental emergencies!
Not to worry. Golden Square Dental will stop the pain immediately. Take advantage of our Same day emergency appointment (usually available) for your dental emergencies.
At Golden Square Dental, we do more than just stop the pain. We make sure it doesn’t bother you again.
What Causes Toothache Or Dental Pain?
Toothache is not the real dental problem. It is only a symptom of a more serious dental problem developing in your mouth.
When you have a toothache, it could mean one of the following:
- Tooth decay – This is the most common reason for a toothache. Poor oral hygiene speeds the progress of bacteria attacking your tooth. A cavity develops and irritates the pulp. Toothache happens when you eat something very hot, cold, or sweet.
- Gum disease – Poor oral hygiene also damages the gums. Accumulated plaque irritates the gums resulting in inflammation and infection, and this is accompanied by toothache.
- Tooth eruption – Your child will have most of his/her permanent teeth when he/she is around 12 – 13 years old. Until then, your child can experience toothache due to erupting teeth. Adults can also experience this as the third molars (wisdom tooth) erupt around 17 – 25 years old.
- Damaged filling – Lost/damaged filling exposes the affected tooth and makes it sensitive.
- Exposed roots (receding gums) – Shrunken gums cause tooth sensitivity, which is triggered when you eat very hot, cold, or sweet foods.
- Bruxism – Tooth grinding not only damages the physical features of your teeth. It also causes jaw pain and toothache.
- Abscessed tooth – An abscessed tooth is one that has pus inside due to an infection. The abscessed tooth could be painful.
First Aid Steps
If you are experiencing a toothache/dental pain, here’s what you can do:
- Rinse your mouth with warm salt-water solution (1/2 teaspoon of salt into 8 ounces of water). Do this several times a day.
- Floss your teeth, especially the affected area, to make sure that there is no food debris present.
- Take an over-the-counter pain reliever to relieve pain. Do not take aspirin if you are 18 years or below and never put aspirin on the tooth or the gums, as it will only burn them
To reduce the pain you can also put clove oil on the tooth using a clean cotton swab or a piece of cloth.
- Call your dentist immediately.
Treatment At Golden Square Dental
Upon your visit to your dentist in Golden Square Dental, you will undergo an examination to determine the cause of your toothache.
Once the cause is determined, you can begin treatment. After the treatment, your local dentist at Golden Square Dental will provide helpful tips to maintain good oral hygiene.
Same Day Emergency Appointment Usually Available!
Golden Square Dental, your trusted local dentist in Golden Square, solves dental emergencies for you and your loved ones. Stop the pain and visit your local dentist today!